Monday, April 4, 2022

15 Minutes of War

In February 1976 in Djibouti, a school bus was taken hostage at the Somali border. The GIGN is sent on the spot, where after 30 hours of tension a rescue operation is organized. That was a plot of a movie which claimed to be based on true story. It admitted that some dramatizations were included, I guess to make the movie more interesting, which to me it is 


Watching it reminded me of another movie about hostages rescue mission: Raid on Entebbe which is based on actual event. Of course the scale of '15 minutes of war' is not on par to Entebbe but I guess the excitement is similar. Entebbe consisted of more ambitious operation - flying  two Lockheed C-130 Hercules transports for the raid. In Fifteen minutes we saw four (later five) snippers shooting enemies from distance. Pretty straight forward, however I have to admit that the director had made a great job to make the story more gripping. I would recommend this movie. Not must seen but still better than not

Back to Entebbe, I watch the movie for the first time when I was about 14 years old. The most memorable thing about the movie was, apart from the action etc, the hymn Hine Ma Tov. The other interesting detail was Benjamin Netanyahu's brother died during the operation. I would recommend Entebbe to your bucket list too.

No comments:

Post a Comment