Friday, May 27, 2022

Depeche Mode

This morning I read BBC news about the passing of Depeche Mode's keyboardist Andy Fletcher. I decided to dedicate this blog to his band

The first Depeche Mode's song that I listened was a song titled "Just Can't Get Enough". The song was released in 1981 but I recall that I listened to that song in 1982 as part of a compilation cassette issued by Aquarius titled New Wave 2. It was the first song in the cassette. I thought this upbeat song really brought the spirit of New Wave of that era.  


The next bunch of Depeche Mode songs that I listened to were from a cassette titled: The Singles 81-85. Obviously the year was around 1986. 
I did also watch their music videos. Back then we rented a bootleg VHS tape with titles like British Top Pop or something like that. I remember watching a music videos of songs like "Mater & Servant" and "People are people". I thought Dave Gahan voice is rather odd but somehow suit their music very well. 

Back to the mentioned cassette, I mostly loved the songs titled "Blasphemous Rumor" and secondly "See You". The first song is really capture the essence of the band as electronic music band. The second one reminds me of The Beatles. 

When I was studying in the US I watch MTV almost daily. Of course they do play Depeche Mode songs too. When I hear their song "Enjoy The Silence" I thought I have listened to their best ever song. I recalled buying their album "Violator" that contains that song. As a student that depends on scholarship I did not have a lot of money back then. I managed to found a discounted cassette through a mail order.

When I was studying English in California in preparation for taking TOEFL test I remember asking my teacher the meaning of "Depeche". She told me that it is a French word meaning "haste". Later when I learned French years later I found this French verb "se dépêcher". Later I found that Depeche Mode is named after the magazine and that name roughly translates as Fashion News.

Good bye Andy Fletcher, thank you for the music

References
https://www.eightyeightynine.com/music/depeche-mode.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violator_(album)

No comments:

Post a Comment