Friday, May 20, 2022

Goodbye Vangelis

 Vangelis died on May 17th 2022 at the age of 79 years old. This blog is the tribute of his memory.

As mentioned many times here I firstly knew his music after hearing Aquarius "The Best Of". I am sure it was released due to Vangelis newest soundtrack album at that time (1981) of a movie titled "Chariot of Fire". I didn't watch the movie but the soundtrack (song no. 2 on the cassette) is a great song. I remember watching a documentary years later that mentioned about Vangelis's break through in soundtrack music. I recall it was mentioned that Vangelis was the first in this genre of soundtrack. 


The first song in this cassette was more interesting. Turned out that for years it was used by Indonesian government television TVRI as the opening soundtrack of the news program called "Dunia Dalam Berita" (World News) which was aired at prime time. Back then TVRI was the sole TV channel in this country and I recall waiting for Dunia Dalam Berita each night. I have no idea if TVRI got permission from Vangelis to use his song for years. 

When that cassette was released "Jon and Vangelis" had issued two albums. From that collaboration, of the two songs in the cassettes I thought "I hear you know" was much nicer song (song no.3 of the cassette). But of course to me the best song of "Jon and Vangelis" is "Deborah", from their third album "Private Collection" which was issued in 1983.

I thought it has great chord progression. Took me years to find the chords. I did not google it but rely solely on my ears. When I got those I posted on my Facebook. Some kind achievement to me.

Good bye Vangelis
Thank you for the music 

References

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61514850

No comments:

Post a Comment