Monday, May 16, 2022

You never know when it’s going to be your last

Just heard the news via my WA group about one my high school friends who is sick. His wife writes that my old mate could only lay down on his sickbed. I still can recognize him albeit he looks pale, weak and thin. Oh how fragile are we. 

Just last month a colleague of mine passed away. He was almost twenty years my junior. The last time I saw him was the day I left Malaysia. I had no idea that he had a lethal disease. I did not think he knew either. The future is not ours to see.

Recently I read a news that really capture the spirit that you can't take anything for granted in life. Jemas Milner -one my Liverpool heroes-  said “You never know when it’s going to be your last. You go into the dressing room after the game and all of the lads are straight on their phones. I’m saying: ‘You’ve won the FA Cup - get off your phone!". The Reds defeated Chelsea on penalties at Wembley Stadium last Saturday to secure the trophy. Liverpool left-back Kostas Tsimikas scored the decisive spot kick. Come the end of the game, Milner said that he was going to enjoy the victory because it could be the last trophy that he ever wins. “Yeah, you get 40 or 50 messages but you get on the bus and you can deal with that. You are lucky to be a footballer, lucky to play in any final and to win ten medals, if you’ve said that to me at the start of my career then I’d have been pretty happy!

We can see where Milner is coming from. The reality is, the Englishman is 36 years of age. In other words, Milner is at the backend of his career. He is going to enjoy winning a trophy more than others simply because he may never get another chance to lift some silverware.

Indeed, life is short and uncertain. We should enjoy each moment and cherish whatever we have as there would be time that those would no longer possible for us.  

You never know when it’s going to be your last


https://anfieldwatch.co.uk/you-never-know-james-milner-reflects-on-fa-cup-final-victory/



No comments:

Post a Comment