Saturday, February 12, 2022

it might be you

In Marc 14:12-21 we read the narration of the last supper, my interest is in particular verse 19: Is it I ? Such a strange question ? One commentary suggests that the disciples were not aware that there was a traitor among them. They did not ask Jesus : Is it he ? or It is he isn't it. They simply had a self-distrustful question about themselves. Obviously -despite being around very close to Jesus- they were aware that that did not make them free from being sinful. They were all - like we are all - mere human. It is always possible to commit sin despite our best intention.


In mea culpa we pray that we  "... have greatly sinned, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do ..." Hence the range of sinful act is pretty wide. Being in-action could lead us into sin as well as actively doing. Even thinking never mind saying things could stain us.

Hence it is  understandable why the disciples asked the Lord if it was he that would do such offense. They were not completely sure if they would not contribute to such act of betrayal. They could have said something, some passer by might have heard the topics that were supposed to be kept among them, etc. 

Reflecting on this short question we could ask ourselves is we had committed to such action (or failed to do so) that might have hurt others. Self doubting ourselves, such thing is completely possible. 

One small note on the translation of such phrase. I happen to have a French version of the new testament. There I read the question is formed positively "Serait-ce Moi?" (would it be me?). I thought this version of self doubt capture the grieve of those apostles. They were not just doubtful but they were an inch closer to confess that they might have done bad things that would lead their Masters into trouble


1 comment: