Sunday, February 6, 2022

Tangerine Dream Pirate Radio

Once a bunch of my buddies created a pirate radio  called Tangerine Dream Radio. Tangerine Dream is a name of  a German electronic music band that listened to when we grew up as teenagers. We played funk, jazz rock, prog rock music but I don't think we played any of Tangerine Dream music. I guess my buddies picked that name because it sounded cool. 

I remembered one of my buddies painted posters that we thought appropriate to be put on the wall of the room that we used. One of the posters was of course the cover of Tangerine Album (see above). All of the posters were black and white. I could not remember where did he get all the ideas from. But I thought the posters are cool.  

To my recollection the government allowed such radios to broadcast only during the month of Ramadhan. During the fasting month people would get up early and obviously having such radios would be a nice distraction. I am not sure how far people could listen to our Radio but it did not matter at all. We thought it was cool to broadcast songs that we love. I don't think we took any requests from listeners. I am sure we had no phone in the studio so we just play songs that we love and it is up to whomever to listen. 

I am not sure whether my buddies would ever considered to have a legal Radio at all but I am sure we all would cherish this memory of Tangerine Radio for ever. 

 



2 comments: