Sunday, January 16, 2022

The best story ever

When I was in my elementary school one of my favorite past times was reading stories. Gramedia the leading publisher had this story books series called "Cerita dari Lima Benua" (stories from five continents). I love many reading many of those but to me the best ever is Leo Tolstoy'  What Men Live By. Gramedia titled the book as "Simon dan Malaikat" (Simon and an angel). I have been searching for this book but no luck. When I knew that in fact the story was written by Tolstoy and I could find it online I could not tell how happy I was

To me Tolstoy wrote to confess his philosophical/religious view about God and humanity. I was no older than twelve when I first read the story but it had made a deep impression to my childhood brain. I was not sure why Gramedia has picked that title (Simon dan Malaikat) which to me did not give any clue what the story all about. I remember the cover depicted Simon (wearing ushanka, that unique Russian hat) and the pale angel lying naked with half his body covered with snow.

I remember I was also fascinated by the illustration (I think those drawings were by Dwi Koen). I am sure one of the reasons why I love this book was the illustrations. I adored Dwi Koen's drawing.  Anyway when I finished I experienced that moment of awe, similar when the singer mesmerized the audience to complete silence. 

Tolstoy was a genius

PS: I would want to spoiled the reader by hinting the plot of the story here. I would not want to steal that awe moment from you  

No comments:

Post a Comment