Thursday, January 20, 2022

Memento Mori

This morning five people died and numerous injured in a deadly traffic accident when a lorry ran over six cars and ten motor cyclers. No one of them woken up knowing that today would their last day on earth. All life has its end and yet no one would not a minute thinking that today might be the day. 

The philosopher Democritus trained himself by going into solitude and frequenting tombs. Indeed visiting cemeteries would  remind me of the inevitability of death. Someday I would not exist in this earth and eventually people who knew me would also perished and hence my existence would ceased completely if not for some obscure record somewhere which no one would even bother to find out.

Strange that such importance escapes our attention almost completely. We live as if  we are immortal. In Catholicism people would mention their dead when reciting Hail Mary prayer  

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our deathAmen.

In the spirit of Memento Mori, I try to always recite that part slowly and mindfully. I pray that Mother Mary would remember me always, now and at that hour

Amen

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment