Monday, January 31, 2022

YESS relic

It was my friend who introduced me to the YESS cassettes. YESS cassettes were produced by a company in Bandung. The were two colors of the covers:  green and blue, the cassettes themselves were typically colored green (later white). The other unique feature is the logo. It looked like a combination of a plane and bird (later on I realized that it was stolen from the art of Roger Dean who was the artist who created my covers of YES albums). 


I always prioritized YESS cassettes over the other (pirated) products. Typically many producers issued a new album of an artist at the same time. Below I pasted the same album of YES produced by Aquarius and YESS. To me the one on the right looked better. 
  

(Notice that the cassette produced by YESS has another album about half of side B. Most pirated cassettes were C60 which has total 60 minutes duration from both sides about 20 minutes longer than LPs which have about 30-44 minutest total play duration consequently the producers had to fill these extra minutes by adding songs from other LP in the above we could see Chris Squire's album added to side B typically the added albums were from the same genre. Chris Squire was obviously the bassist of Yes and hence he would have sounded like YES. I typically listened to this part of cassettes to find out the next artists to listen to)

Back then there was a cassette store in Bandung that would allow us to exchange any cassettes bought there within 24 hours. I remember I exchanged Genesis' A Trick of A Tail album as it had a glitch on one of the songs. Looked like the original LP that they used was scratched 
 
One cassette that had typo was Dave Grusin album below. It was written live in Budukan - obviously the correct word was Budokan. Budukan itself means mangy. I was sure that it was a practical joke by the producer

I could not find YESS cassettes in the city where I spent my junior high school, Cirebon, however I could find those in Kuningan which is about 30 km from Cirebon. Kuningan is much smaller to Cirebon and yet one store had YESS cassettes there. I would bet that I was the only person who bought some of those. 

When pirated cassettes were banned in Indonesia YESS along with some others disappeared from the market. We could still buy them online or in some second hand market but of course we need to have tape player which also had disappeared too.  YESS cassettes are now relics of a past era. 

1 comment: