Thursday, January 27, 2022

Van Halen was my name

After listening to Van Halen's 'Fair Warning' (not from Aquarius this time, too bad forgot already the producer of the pirated cassettes) I fell in love so much to the band that I add Van Halen to my name (written LOOQQAZT VAN HALEN)


The sound of Eddy's guitar was the perfect sound that I thought a rock band should be.  When David Lee Roth screamed his voice turned into some unique howling that was fantastic to my ears. I often day dreaming listening to the cassette when I got bored or distracted during class. My most favorite song was 'Unchained

As usual I hunted the other album of Van Halen. The one available one at that time was 'Women and Children First'. I did not know that Van Halen had two previous albums: Van Halen and Van Halen II. Of course 'Van Halen' has the phenomenal 'Eruption' which I listened much later 


The next album that I had was Diver Down.  I thought 'Hang 'Em High' was the highlight of the album. I had this album when I was in high school. At that time Van Halen was still obscure. Compilation (like 'The Best of" was not available yet). However I managed to find a poster of Van Halen (of course pirated). I proudly pasted it in my room



When 'Jump' was released I hated that now everyone knew Van Halen. Eddy's keyboard was catchy but to be honest I hated him for not solely playing guitar. Jump was released as part of 1984  album. It has one track that to me was still sound pure Van Halen 'Hot for teacher'  

The next Van Halen album, 5150, was a real surprise. Sammy Hagar replaced David Lee Roth and Eddy played more keyboard. Now Van Halen was really departing their original path but it was a success. To quote Wikipedia: The album hit number 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, surpassing the band's previous album, 1984. 5150 has more love songs and ballads. Van Halen turned pop. 

I did not buy or listen the next Van Halen albums. If anything I just watched them on MTV specially the album  For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge which was released in 1991. I was in the US at that time studying for my Master's Degree. I thought Right Now was the highlight of that album. The song was no original Van Halen but the piano sounded cool. Before I left the US I bought an original T shirt of For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge as gift for my brother. 

Van Halen issued three more albums after that. I listened to none. I was amazed when Gary Cherone took over vocal duties from Sammy. I thought Eddy and Alex were completely mad. But of course I would not careless as to me the real Van Halen was the original line up without any keyboard sound. 

I listened nostalgically when David Lee Roth rejoined the band for their last album A Different Kind of Truth. It still did not sound like the Van Halen that I knew. Lately I learned that Michael Anthony the original bassist was not part of the band anymore.

When Eddy passed away I thought one milestone of my youth has gone too. Van Halen was my name. The Van Halen of the old era where Eddy's guitar sounded angry and rocky. I felt betrayed when he played keyboard or played love songs. I was lost completely amid newer albums. But still Eddy was my childhood hero.  

No comments:

Post a Comment