Wednesday, March 30, 2022

blood-y drone

I could not believe that one company had provided services to deliver blood in Rwanda using drones. The drones are able to cut the delivery time from 3 hours to 15 minutes. It is also interesting that the blood is parachuted down to the point of delivery. I guess this would safe time as the drones don't have to land. These drones are launched from their base to go airborne. They have a special launcher for that which obviously are not available where the drone drop the delivery. 



I am amazed that such innovation is implanted in an African country. I have nothing against any African country for this matter but I guess this country has something that my country does not have. To start with it is possible that such demand of blood does not exist here (enough hospital around that people does not have to wait for hours to get blood). But the company that developed such delivery system in Rwanda is convinced that drone delivery is the future. 

I could see that in remote places where road transportation would take longer time. But in a typical cities of Indonesia I don't see it. I am sure the online service like GOJEK would be more competitive. Not to mention about regulation etc. 

However there another interesting thing related to the story. Turns out the Iphone technology is the main enabler for this drone delivery system. The drones use Iphone's gps and processor among other things. The point is that one innovation is allowing us to be creative and innovate further. It means it would not be easy to predict the future as the impacts of one innovation could inspire a number of other innovation that might not closely connected

  

No comments:

Post a Comment