Thursday, March 3, 2022

practice makes perfect

This morning we went trekking to Tahura Bandung. It was about 12 km return. Not much a challenge as the trek is pretty easy. We had hiked Mt Kinabalu back in 2019. That was much more challenging. Mostly because we did not have enough preparation. If we were to repeat hiking Mt Kinabalu I am sure with better preparation we could hike faster and certainly enjoy it more. Practice does make perfect.


I experience the benefit of practice with my running exercise. I could see that I am able to run faster without having my heart beat exceeding my 76% of my maximum heart rate. The thing that I am currently practicing is to run longer than 8K with the same pace. I am not sure if I could achieve that goal or not. But trying makes exercise more interesting

Half of me knows that this attempt to improving my ability is pointless as obviously I am getting older and hence my body would naturally be weaker. I could over two counter points, one the journey is worth more than the destination and secondly I am sure at least my exercise would help me slowing down my aging process.

I learn that some people experienced the so call  "arrival fallacy", feeling empty once their goals were achieved. I haven't reach my goal yet but I guess I would be surprised to experience this. In any case I keep reminding myself that the doing is often more important than the outcome

Exercise is the best defense and repair strategy that we have to counter different drivers of aging. I knew that I started rather late but scientists are convinced that no such thing as too little, too late. 

Running is fun, no argument on that, in fact as I close my eyes to sleep I remind myself that tomorrow I shall run. I go to sleep with this happy thought. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment