Monday, March 7, 2022

Sentimental Disney

I have been to three out of five Disneyland: Anaheim, Hong Kong and Paris. The remaining two are Tokyo Disneyland and Walt Disney World in Florida. I am already grown up when I was there. The first Disney trip was part of the touristic trips when I was a student of a language center while preparing for my TOEFL and GRE tests. I was already 25 years old. I visited the other two with my family. Still I would say I enjoyed being there, at least for sentimental reasons

When I was in elementary school every Saturday afternoon I watch Disney show aired by the national TV. I could not remember how long it was run, but I am sure it was at least a year worth of TV shows. One of my neighbor had a View-Master with Disney reels that I was fascinated with. I thought it would be a dream comes true if ever I visited Disneyland 

Of course I did not know that about 12 years later that my dream would came true. I went to Disneyland in Anaheim with some students of my English Center in Redlands University. It took about an hour to drive there. I recalled we were there as soon as the gate were opened (8 AM) and stayed there until the evening. I thought we even had our dinner there. 

I recall I went to most if not all the rides. In the afternoon we watched the Disney parade where we could see all of our favorites characters parading the main street of Disneyland. I bought soundtrack of Disney movies like Cinderella and Snow White. I could not find those cassettes anymore, too bad,  but the memory would remains. Being in Disneyland was my childhood dream came true. 

Seven years later my family and I were in Paris for my six months trainings in main office of my company. We went to Disney Paris. Now our daughter was with us. I guess she was too small to remember the details but of course I kept my score. By that time I had been in two out of four (Hong Kong Disney was opened in 2005). Of course by then we did not know that later on we would revisit Disney Paris once more

Thirteen years later as a family with two kids we flew from KL to Hong Kong. This would be my third Disney. I recall that Hong Kong Disney is rather smaller than the other two that I had been visited but I enjoyed being there anyhow. 

Five years passed by and life would bring us to Disney Paris for the second time, this time there were four of us. I did dream up to visit Disney Tokyo my fourth Disney but seems like it would remain a dream. Firstly Covid is still around and secondly being a pensioner would mean putting travelling long distance at the bottom of the list. 

Why would I would like to be in Tokyo Disney? For sentimental reasons. I recall those Disney TV that I watched when I grew up. Somehow three Disney is still not enough



No comments:

Post a Comment