Thursday, March 17, 2022

the question of handling flood of information

Some three decades ago  we had no internet, newspaper were printed, we read books and the number of new books were still manageable. Yes life was slower, news crept rather slowly (as the fastest we could get news was a live TV newsflash) but life was more manageable indeed. 

Speed up to today we would not afford even to blink as news, social media, internet are 24 hours with us. I feel it is impossible to to be on top of every thing without getting inundated.  Three decades ago I had morning afternoon papers, 24 hours TV and monthly international magazines (I subscribed both TIME and NEWSWEEK). I read books published by Kanisius, I mostly read theology and philosophy. I thought I managed to finish books that I bought. Obviously there a handful new books each month and I had no problem picking and reading those before a set of new ones appear on the shelf of  Gramedia

I had email address but it was for work only. I do not think I send emails outside business purposes. Of course now people do not use email like we used to be as we have whatsapp, facebook, twitter, etc. Information are tons load and I do not dare to understand the size of data streamed each minute across the web. 

I have many printed books that are still unread from the day I bought them years ago however the number of those books is nothing in comparisons of the e-books that stored in my hard disks. Even if I could read one book a day I would not exhaust my list and of course each days many more books are published.

I guess future generations would find the solution for this question of balancing between getting the needed information is shortest possible time. Our ancestor in the savannah would have to master all the necessary skills to survive their life condition which I would assume would be less complicated that what we have today. They should have ample time to learn - otherwise we would not be here as our existence is the proof our our ancestors successful strategy to transfer the necessary skill to younger generations. 

Will we ?



No comments:

Post a Comment