Wednesday, March 16, 2022

from genesis to the last domino

Like Yes I could not remember if I started following Genesis when Gabriel was the singer or Collins but I think like other bands I started by listening the best cassettes. Below we could see that this cassettes had both Gabriel and Collins fronted Genesis. I am amazed seeing the double necked guitar in the cover. I am sure it is Rutherford who played both bass and guitar after Hackett left the band    

I am sure I had both the second cassettes 

and the third one too

After listening to those compilations I decided to listen to each album. It was either Abacab or Duke. But both have different style in comparison the the last Gabriel era : The lamb lies down on broadway. In the beginning Gabriel era was too hard to stomach to me. However I thought Foxtrot was really great. I thought Hackett composition (Horizons) was great. I was able to play some part of the song. Of course if I had YouTube back then I would have added it to my routine. The other great was Supper's Ready. Specially those lines 

And it's hey babe your supper's waiting for you
Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true?

My next album in Gabriel era was Selling England by the Pound. If I had to pick just one song I would no doubt pick Firth of Fifth. I thought this song should be one of the the peaks of Gabriel era. Hackett solo was fantastic. His signature. It was pure Hackett. 

I guess the band were lucky to have Collins taking up the role of singing when Gabriel left. I thought Collins voice resembles Gabriel's in some sense For sure Collins has higher (or lighter) pitch? But Collins had no problem singing Gabriel's songs.

These are three songs that I love the most of the three albums after Gabriel left: A Trick of the Tail (album: A Trick of the Tail. Note: some says that Indonesian musicians "copy" this song),  One for the Vine (album: Wind and Wuthering) and Follow You Follow Me (Album: ...And Then There Were Three... Hackett left the band before this album, hence the title)

I am completely in agreement if one said Duke is a leap into the pop music but retained a heavy dose of progressive rock.  The departure to pop music was getting clearer on the next album Abacab. In this album we could even hear Earth Wind and Fire Horn section. Such radical concept for a once progressive rock band. I would vote Me and Sarah Jane as the best song from this album.

I thought the conversion to pop was completed in the next album: Genesis. You could hear many radio friendly songs in this album but I would pick It's Gonna Get Better as the best. I won't mention the next three albums as I do not think they could be called Genesis that was once had Gabriel singing lead. 

Between September 2021 and March 2022 Genesis did concert reunion tour called The Last Domino? Tour as after a 13-year hiatus. Collins senior would sing and Collins junior (his son) played the drums. (Collins (senior) said he can no longer play the drums due to his deteriorating health) Did they mean this would be the end of road for Genesis? 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment