Friday, March 25, 2022

windows of openness to novelties

If you don't eat sushi by the age of 35, there is quote 95% chance you never will. As we get older, we are less open to "novelty." 


I have not checked if it the above quote is based on legitimate scientific studies or it is just another myth but I could sense the truth about the windows of openness to novelties. Obviously kids would be open to any novelties so that parents would have to guard their kids from negative influences. As we grow older we would developed preferences, routines and even a set of biases that would act as glasses that would filter information that we would allow to enter our brain. 

Of course the rest of the world would not care of our individual way to understand the world as we see it. Fifty years ago my parents would not dream that someday people would communicate using smart phones. But of  course smart phones happen as novelties in the beginning and as life essential later on. I would not be surprised to find out that for most elderlies smart phones would be just 'too modern' for them. They are no longer open to such novelties. Physically smart phone might be too small for them (their eyes would typically are no longer sharp enough to see the relatively small screen and not to mention typing the text, that would beyond their capability) 

Passing the age of fifty in the age of digital would mean I am still following the trend of digital world but of course I have no idea how soon another novelties would be around. I guess I would not be surprised finding out sometime in the future that I would prefer using the 'old' technologies of the 2020s for example. Eventually my window of novelties would be closed to

Until then   

No comments:

Post a Comment